Weddings FAQ

Our FAQ is quite extensive so please choose a section to help answer your questions!

General Questions for Weddings


What precautions are you taking in regards to COVID-19?

Anderson Lodge takes the health and safety of our guests in the midst of the threat of COVID-19 very seriously. All clients and guests are to comply with all State guidelines set. We are attempting to minimize the exposure and spread of the virus with our current policies.

While Anderson Lodge’s regular cleaning regimens are rigorous, we have put additional practices in place during this time of COVID-19 Our cleaning staff has increased the frequency of cleaning common spaces and added sanitizing stations for your safety. Within 2 hours of your check-in, our cleaning staff will be sanitizing commonly touched surfaces and bathrooms. There are fans in rooms so that you can increase ventilation during your stay. Our staff will be thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting the Lodge after your stay.

How do I arrange for a tour of the Lodge?

Just call or email us and we will make an appointment for a tour.  We will find a time when both the Main Lodge and the Hilltop House are available so you can see both facilities.  Please do not just “drop by”.   The lodge may be booked for another event.

Do you have wireless internet?

Yes, we have wireless at the Main Lodge and the Hilltop House. The range is limited.  The buildings and patios should have reception. WiFi may not be available in outer areas on the grounds.  You may wish to visit and test the WiFi range if you have activities planned that rely on WiFi.

How do I make a reservation once I have chosen a date and facility?

You will find our RESERVATION policy on our website.  We require an initial deposit and a RENTAL AGREEMENT to reserve a date.  All reservation deposits are non-refundable and all money paid toward your wedding package is non-refundable.  No exceptions.

Do you accept credit cards?

Yes, we accept Visa and Master Card.

Why do you suggest that guests do NOT use GPS or MapQuest?

These tools are not accurate with directions on country roads.  We have many, many lost people that have used these tools. Please use the directions provided on our website. Please use the Map and Directions on our website and inform all your guests, family and vendors of the correct directions.

Do you have television reception at the Lodge?

No. We have televisions for DVD but no television reception.

Is there Cell phone coverage at the Lodge?

At the Main Lodge, only AT&T has coverage. At the Hilltop House, AT&T has minimal coverage. We do have landlines at both the Hilltop House and the Main Lodge.  But be prepared to bring a phone card for long distance charges.  There is WiFi for Skype and wireless calling.

How long does it take to get from Portland to Anderson Lodge? From Seattle?

The Lodge is about 1 hour from either the I-5 bridge (Interstate Bridge) or the I-205 bridge (Glenn Jackson Bridge). We are about 2 1/2 – 3 hours from of Seattle. Mileage is about 167 miles.

Is the lodge open year round?

Yes!  We are popular for winter outings as well as summer, fall and spring.  Connecting with friends and family is fabulous no matter what the weather is!

What kind of events do you have at the Lodge?

We only have private, invitation only events at our facility.  We are very popular venue for Weddings.  What sets us apart from other facilities?  We offer a wedding & reception site with lodging for families and friends.  You have exclusive use of the entire venue for your wedding.  It is like taking over a whole resort, just for you.

Family reunions are also very popular.  Families love our many activities on site and our quality kitchens.  Church retreats take place every month throughout the year.  They love our flexible meeting spaces and our many options for group events.  Many college and band organizations have weekend retreats to prepare for performances and create a bond within the group.  School staff, private schools, student study groups and leadership retreats often meet at Anderson Lodge.  Adult choirs and school choirs take annual retreats to rehearse for upcoming events or have a organizational gathering to begin a season. Clubs, study groups, worship groups, anniversary parties, birthday parties, memorials, drama groups, volunteer trainings, are just a few of our clients.

What is the capacity of the Main Lodge or Hilltop House for an event?

We request that you limit your guest list to under 200 people. If the weather turns cool and the event cannot take place outdoors; our conference room maximum is 200 or less. for guests seated in rows. Bathroom facilities on site are best for groups under 200.

Are there children's play yards at the Lodge?

Yes, at both the Main Lodge and the Hilltop House there are play structures and play houses for the younger crowd.  The play structure is for children aged 8 years and younger.  Please supervise children while they are using it.

Pippi’s playhouse is great fun for kids but please clean up, dispose of any trash and tidy up the supplies.

Are there laundry facilities at the Lodge?

Yes, at both the Main Lodge and the Hilltop House. We even supply laundry soap.

What is the quality of drinking water at the Lodge?

We have excellent drinking water!  Please note that massive amounts of water bottles create an environmental hazard.  Please bring reusable bottles and fill them with our wonderful tap water!

Where are the hot tubs?

The health department does not allow facilities such as ours to have hot tubs for guest use.  Therefore, we no longer have hot tubs.

What is a campfire amphitheater?

Fires are only permitted within our approved fire pit rings. DO NOT USE THE PORTABLE PROPANE FIRE RINGS. The advantage to these fire rings are that they are portable. You are not allowed to have fires in any other area. ALL CAMPFIRES ARE TO BE IN ANDERSON LODGE’S APPROVED FIRE RINGS IN OUR CAMPFIRE AMPHITHEATER. 

Anderson Lodge does not provide firewood.  PLEASE BRING CHARCOAL TO USE IN OUR CAMPFIRE AREA.  Fire risk is high at this time. We have had an unseasonably dry and warm months. Therefore, firewood is not allowed at this time. Firewood sparks and sends embers into the forest. Charcoal does not spark and when fire safety rules are followed, does not present a danger.

Even if there are occasional rainy days, the charcoal only rule applies. Fire danger risk is calculated over a period of time not day-to-day weather.

Both the Main Lodge and the Hilltop House have a campfire amphitheater on the property.  This a a place where s’mores, hot dog roasts and sing-a-longs are the star!  There is a campfire ring in the middle with bench seating for 75 or more at one side and a stage on the other. This area is surrounded by forest and it is all covered for use all year long. The paths to the amphitheaters are very close to the outdoor patios.

Are Sky lanterns or Wish Lanterns permitted?

Sky lanterns are dangerous and illegal to fly in Washington. They are strictly prohibited and banned in the state of Washington.  The miniature hot air balloons can create a dangerous situation if they collide with a tree, building or power line. The lanterns have to land somewhere, and sometimes they’re still partly on fire when they hit the ground. They’ve been known to ignite dry vegetation.

We certainly don’t need uncontrolled sources of open flame flying above our forests. We already have enough things to cause forest fires to worry about without adding them to the mix.  Do not use any decoration that released into the air or use any that have a flame.

Are fireworks permitted?

No fireworks are allowed at Anderson Lodge. For safety reasons, no fireworks, sparklers or flammable items will be permitted on any of our properties. No fireworks are allowed at all regardless of July 4th or New Years celebrations.

Can we have campfires if the fire danger is high?

Fires are only permitted within our approved fire pit rings. DO NOT USE THE PORTABLE PROPANE FIRE RINGS. The advantage to these fire rings are that they are portable. You are not allowed to have fires in any other area. ALL CAMPFIRES ARE TO BE IN ANDERSON LODGE’S APPROVED FIRE RINGS IN OUR CAMPFIRE AMPHITHEATER.

Burn Ban. A burn ban is scheduled yearly from July 15-Sept 30. No firewood is allowed during a burn ban. You can also check the Cowlitz County website to learn about the burning regulations during your stay. It is very possible that burn bans can be in effect earlier and later than the schedule ban. Be sure to check with the lodge office for up to date regulations.

During a scheduled burn ban,  PLEASE BRING CHARCOAL TO USE IN OUR CAMPFIRE AREA.   Firewood can spark and embers are carried by the wind which is all it takes to start a fire. It is for this reason that we are not allowing firewood to be used in our campfire area. Please contact the Lodge office for the fire danger level during your event.

If there is no fire danger during your event, you are able to use our campfire amphitheater with camp wood. Anderson Lodge will provide one card of wood for your use.  If you would like to have more fires, please bring your own. Please follow the fire safety rules with use of the campfire.


  • NEVER allow fire to be unattended. Not even for a second.
  • Have a water hose and fire extinguisher nearby to extinguish if fires do start to spread
  • Do NOT cut off branches from trees or bushes to create hot dog or marshmallow sticks
  • Never allow children near the area when in use, without an adult present
  • Never allow children to play in the fire or “stir it up” using sticks or twigs
  • It’s a good idea to have a large bucket of bowl of soapy water and paper towels nearby to clean sticky hands
  • have a bucket of water handy to douse any sparks outside of campfire ring.
  • Douse liberally with a bucket of water when done
  • THEN douse again with water 30 minutes later
  • Clean up all debris when finished
  • After you douse the 2nd time, check back 30 min later to see if it is thoroughly extinguished and cool to touch.


Can we come in earlier than the standard check-in time?

ONE NIGHT PACKAGE Standard Check in: 2:00 PM

  • If schedule allows*, Early entry may be granted at 12:00 PM (NO COST)
  • If schedule allows*, Extended Early Entry fee $100/hr before 12:00 PM

TWO OF MORE NIGHT PACKAGES– Standard Check in 4:00 PM

  • If schedule allows*, Early Entry may be granted at 2:00 PM (NO COST)
  • If schedule allows*, Extended Early Entry fee is $100/hr before 2:00 PM

Contact Lodge office to request Early Entry or an Extended Early Entry

*NOTE: Early Entry, Extended Early Entry or Late Check Out may only be confirmed 30 days in advance, no earlier.

The check-out time of 10 AM is very early. Can we stay later?

ALL WEDDING PACKAGES:  Standard Check out is 10 AM

  • If schedule allows* Late Check-out may be granted at 12:00 PM (NO COST)
  • Contact Lodge office to request this late check out.

*NOTE: Early Entry, Extended Early Entry or Late Check Out may only be confirmed 30 days in advance, no earlier.

Do you have a shuttle service from the airport?

We do not have a shuttle service.   It is about 55 miles from the airport to the Lodge. You may wish to research shuttle services such as Uber or Lyft. These are the two largest taxi alternative networks services in the United States. Both apps notify passengers of the driver’s arrival and give them an estimated cost in advance on a Smartphone..

The address of the Main Lodge is:
12025 Lewis River Rd.
Ariel, WA  98603

The address of the Hilltop House is:
12014 Lewis River Rd.
Ariel, WA  98603

If I pay a deposit and need to cancel my date, can I get my deposit back?

No, initial and confirmation deposits are non-refundable.  All money paid toward your wedding package is non-refundable.  No exceptions.

Is there a landline at the Lodges?

Yes, there is a landline in the kitchens at the Main Lodge and the Hilltop House. Most everywhere is long distance and we are charged. If you wish to receive calls from home that is fine. But realize that outgoing calls will be charge for us.

It is best to use Wifi calling. We have Wifi and both locations.

Do you allow pets? Service animals?

No pets are allowed on the property of Anderson Lodge.  If anyone mistakenly brings a pet on the property, notify the office immediately. 360 247 6660.  If there is a pet on the property we ask that you arrange for the pet to be taken home or to a boarding facility.  Pets are NEVER allowed in any building. There is a $150 fine if a dog is brought onto the property.

There are times when we allow a wedding couple to have their dog be a part of the ceremony. (No guests are allowed to bring a pet.) Contact the owners to see if this exception can be made. If the specific pet is allowed by the owners, the following rules apply.

Dog owners of an APPROVED PET  must abide by specific rules.

  • Dog is to be supervised, ON A LEASH, at all times. The dog is never allowed to roam dragging a leash. A person must always hold the leash and handle the animal.
  • A dog is never, ever allowed in a building. We have many guests who are allergic.
  • The dog must sleep in an RV or tent or be taken home after the ceremony.
  • The dog must be leashed and not allowed off. The problem is that they tend to relieve themselves all over the place when off-leash. We cannot have guests stepping in the droppings.
  • The owner must clean up after the dog.
  • No dog is to be left alone in a room.

We do allow service animals. The ADA requires that service animals be allowed in public places. Under the ADA, a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person’s disability. If you have a service animal associated with a guest, please provide us with the following information:
1) Is the service animal required because of a disability?
2) What activities is the dog trained to perform?
3) Where is the service animal going to sleep?
4) Please confirm you will pick up after the service animal.

We only allow service animals with no extra charge. Service animals cannot be left alone in guest rooms, cabins or buildings when their person leaves. We do not allow therapy animals.

Although service animals are allowed, therapy dogs are not. Please find other accommodations for therapy animals. Therapy animals are not allowed on the property or in any building.

Where can our wedding guests park?
The field is used for the main parking for your wedding. All guests should park there and enter the wedding site using a path that leads from the field to the wedding site. It is helpful to have some “parking attendants” to guide them into rows. If you want to have tents or RV’s out there too, just rope off an area for them so people aren’t parking too close.You and your guests are free to park back by the tennis courts too.
The turn-around area at the Lodge is our main fire lane. You can have a few cars parked to the left of the pavilion only. But the turn-around is really the fire lane and must be kept clear. Imagine a big fire truck and make sure there is a wide pathway toward the lodge and all around the turn and a clear exit.
Tents and RV’s often use the little cleared areas near the cabin and tennis courts. There are also tent/RV spaces in the cut-out areas on the road that leads to the parking field. If you have RV’s they usually park near the Dalarna Cabin or alongside the tennis courts.
Do you have someone on site if we need help during our stay?

Yes, we have a caretaker on the property. He can help with most Lodge-related mishaps or concerns.
Caretaker: Richard Birchall 360 702 8000. You may also call the Lodge office 360 247 6660

Contact the office 360 247 6660 for scheduling,  pricing or billing questions

What do we do with all our trash from our event?

Your wedding group has been allotted 10 trash cans. Please limit your waste to this amount. There is a $25/BAG FEE FOR MORE THAN 10 TRASH CANS. Transport and dispose of any accumulation above this amount to a waste disposal site.  If you have recycling items; water bottles, liquor bottles, soda cans, cardboard packaging, decorations, etc. that you no longer want, transport to a waste disposal site or recycling center.  DO NOT LEAVE YOUR WINE, BEER OR LIQUOR BOTTLES FOR US TO DISPOSE OF!   A deduction will be made from your cleaning/damage deposit should there be excessive trash to be removed.

What is my wedding damage/service deposit for? Do I get it refunded if I don't break anything?

We require a final payment be made in full, prior to your stay.  This damage/service deposit covers services provided after your final payment has been made. If there is:  excessive soiling of the carpet, cleaning/bedding services are needed, damage is detected, excessive trash, furniture/supplies are not in original locations, or if user rules and checklists have not been followed, the amount will be taken from this deposit.  It also can be used for bedding services provided at the time of your event, that were not paid for in your final payment.  You will receive your refund after your event.

Do you have a Lost and Found? How can I get my item back?

We do have a lost and found.  Call the office if you forget something.  (360 247 6660) There is a $15 fee plus postage for mailing an item to you.  We hold a lost-and-found item for approximately 30 days.

Do you have high chairs?

Yes.  We have 2 high chairs at each facility. Request them upon check-in.

When do I make my final payment for my wedding?

You final payment is due 14 days prior to your check in date.  You must provide an exact count of all services you are requesting (wait staff, bedding, cleaning) at least 20 days before you arrive.  No admittance to the property will be permitted until your final bill is paid in full.  If you are paying by credit card or check, time is needed for funds to be verified. Payment with a cashier’s check can be made at anytime and is automatically verified.

You also need to submit your proof of insurance 20 days in advance of your check-in date.  No admittance can be allowed until we have received your policy and we have approved the policy.

Do you require insurance for our wedding rental?

We require Event Liability Insurance from the wedding couple. Please provide a Certificate of Liability to Anderson Lodge 20 days prior to your check in date.  Recently a client shared with us that they recommended WedSure for event insurance.  They found them very helpful and easy to work with and the cost of insurance was less than expected. A basic policy is $125.

(Note: when applying for the event insurance be sure to choose $1,000,000 – $2,000,000)

Event Liability Insurance covers you in the event that you become legally responsible for personal injury or property damage caused by an accident which occurs during your covered event. We recommend WEDSURE. Make sure that your event insurance includes the following 5 items.

  • Liability Insurance coverage limit of $1,000,000 MINIMUM is required. Check box for limit of $1,000,000 – $2,000,000.
    Coverage for damage to rented premises $1,000,000 MINIMUM is required.
  • We require the following to be included in the policy
    • Liability Insurance coverage limit of $1,000,000
    • Coverage for damage to rented premises $1,000,000
    • Anderson Lodge must be listed as “additional insured”
    • List your venue address on policy under additional insured..
    • Policy must start on your check-in date and end on your check-out date.
    • Host Liquor Liability coverage is required.

Please note: We do not accept home owner’s policies for event insurance.

What is the tax rate for lodging and services?

There is a 9.8% tax rate on all lodging and kitchen fees.  There is a 7.8% tax rate on all services we provide.  (Cleaning, bedding, wait staff) These rates apply to rentals as of 2020.

If we live in Oregon, do we have to pay tax?

Yes.  Taxes can only be waived for retail items that you are taking back home with you.

There is a 9.8% tax rate on lodging and kitchen fees.  There is a 7.8% tax rate on all services we provide.  (Cleaning, bedding, wait staff)

Where is an Urgency Care close to Anderson Lodge?

If you are having a medical emergency, always call 911 immediately.
We have emergency service and ambulance service quite close by.  When Arvid had his heart attack at the Hilltop, they were there in record time!
Hours of operation and information for the clinics below change often. Call to verify.

The Vancouver Clinic
Mon – Fri 8:00 am – 5:00 pm – Sat – Sun 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Address: 2005 W Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604
Phone:(360) 882-2778

Providence Immediate Care – M-F 8am-8pm, Sat-Sun 9am-5pm
101 NW 12th Ave.
Suite 107
Battle Ground, WA 98604-9141

Mtn View Medical Urgent Care – Open 24 hours
101 NW 12th Ave,
Battle Ground, WA 98604
(360) 666-8418

Kaiser has a small clinic in Battle Ground. This clinic does not have urgency care. Open M-F 8am-5pm.

Battle Ground Medical Office
720 W Main Street, Suite 15
Battle Ground, WA 98604

Where is the nearest hospital?
  • Legacy Salmon Creek Medical Center
    2211 NE 139th ST
    Vancouver WA  98686
    (360) 487 1000
    Drive West on Lewis River Hwy to Woodland, WA.
    Take I-5 South.
    Exit to I-205 South.
    Exit 36 NE 134th ST.
    Left on 20th AVE.
    Right on 139th ST
    Signs will direct you to the hospital once you exit I-5. Look for the Blue H
  • Peace Health Southwest Medical Center – (Has specialized cardiovascular medical unit)
    400 NE Mother Joseph Place
    Vancouver, WA 98664
What are the sites of interest in the area of Anderson Lodge?

Check out our “Links” web page under “About us” on our website.  There are links to websites such as:  The Ape Caves, Mt. St. Helens, Cedar Creek Grist Mill and the Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens.


ALL our packages include lodging for family and friends as well as incredible ceremony and reception sites.

Main Lodge


Guests have exclusive use the whole facility.
It’s like renting an entire resort for your event!

Main Lodge


Our lodges offer such a unique venue to gather and connect with family and friends You can truly make this reunion one that reflects your family traditions.

Main Lodge


Our Main Lodge is a 16-acre site with lodging and loads of recreational possibilities. Giant trees & ferns surround this unique facility. Sterile & conventional it isn’t…
cozy and welcoming it is!

Main Lodge


The Hilltop House is truly a special location. It is perched at the top of a hill with 75 acres of natural beauty and wildlife. Guests enjoy the activities on site and relaxing setting. The view and the lush forest surrounding the Hilltop House enhances any celebration or event.

Main Lodge

Meals at Anderson Lodge


Do you have a catering staff at Anderson Lodge?

We have a preferred caterer at Anderson Lodge. Cindy Blixt of 5 Star Catering is our preferred caterer. 

Her services include all the setup, food preparation, service and clean up. You are in direct contact with her to choose meal times, meal selections, and specify any dietary restrictions you may have. She is absolutely amazing. One big advantage is that she is a very frequent caterer to the facility and is a great resource for weddings at Anderson Lodge. If there is a problem during your event, like a breaker goes out or a guest room door is accidentally locked, she is able to handle it for sure! You will love her. All our clients rave about her. We are so lucky she is our preferred caterer.

5 Star Catering
Cindy Blixt


This would include all the set-up, food preparation, service and clean up. You are in direct contact with her to choose a menu, pricing and preferences. Cindy has a sizable selection of wedding supplies from table coverings to cupcake stands to decorative pieces. (No need to search out a supply rental store) All who choose her always tell us how wonderful she is. With our 2 family weddings recently, we had Cindy cater the meals. We can personally wholeheartedly recommend her!

There is a kitchen fee for self-catering, preferred catering and outside catering.

I see you have kitchen fees. What are they for?

We have very well stocked kitchens with commercial appliances. We try to provide quality kitchens for you to use. You can count on a commercial dishwasher and commercial refrigeration at both the Hilltop House and the Main Lodge.  In our kitchens you will find china and flatware for 150 people. We have multiple salt/pepper shakers, acrylic water pitchers, and coffee carafes.  Speaking of coffee, we have large coffee urns for large groups and 2 Mr. Coffee pots for smaller groups.  We have a few large white serving platters and large salad bowls plus 6-8 glass serving dishes and many baking and food prep utensils.

We have been to facilities where the kitchens supplies are so sparse, you have to bring a mountain of supplies just to prepare simple meals.  With kitchens at Anderson Lodge, it is so easy to prepare meals for large groups!  You are welcome to use all the supplies in our kitchens but be mindful to return them to their locations.  Sorry, we don’t have chafing dishes or an ice maker.

Do you provide toilet paper and paper towels?

We provide paper towels and toilet paper. You will need to bring napkins for meal service.

We have a 2-night package but are going to use the kitchen for one day only. Can we just pay for 1 day of a kitchen fee since we aren't using it on the 2nd day?

You are charged a kitchen fee for each day you are there.  Usually the confusion comes when groups have prepared food delivered and no food is prepared in our kitchens for part of their stay.  Chances are water, kitchen supplies, dishes, coffee pots, appliances, refrigeration, serving dishes, etc. will be used even when food preparation is taking place off site.  Therefore, kitchen fees apply for your entire wedding package.

What kind of glassware is available for our use?

We do not have “glass” tumblers or wine glasses.  We do however have acrylic tumblers for your use.  Many wedding clients rent wine glasses and goblets for the main event and use our acrylic tumblers for other meals during their stay.

We do not have water urns or glass punch bowls.

What table linens are available for us to use?

On the tables at this time, we have a tan colored cloth-backed vinyl table covering.  Those are for your use during your stay at Anderson Lodge.  If you would like linens for your main event, you would need to rent them.

Can we self-cater our WEDDING?

Yes you may provide your own catered meal providing it follows this guideline.  Self catering:  Volunteers are preparing and providing the meals for your event and no money is being paid for this service.  If you are purchasing prepared dishes from a restaurant or caterer, this would be outside catering, NOT self-catering. For example: if you are purchasing a tray of wings from a local restaurant, this is considered outside catering.

You can expect china and flatware for 150 people. If you have over 150 people, you will need to rent china and flatware or use Chinet or other elegant plastic plates and cutlery.

All Groups Pay $150 Kitchen Fee (plus tax) for each day of the rental
If you choose to self-cater, there is no additional fee beyond this kitchen fee.

Does Anderson Lodge provide any staff to help us if we wish to self-cater?

We do not have staff that help with food service.

Our wait staff can only clear tables, dispose of trash, help take down reception decorations, move tables, wash dishes and put away dishes, etc. They can help with non-food related tasks.  They are paid an hourly rate. There is a 2 staff minimum and they work for a minimum of 3 hours. This service is taxed at 7.8%. Our wait staff are adults and are experienced employees of Anderson Lodge.

Can we use an outside caterer for our wedding? Can we bring in a food truck?

Yes. If you choose this option, there is a $150/day Kitchen Fee (plus tax) plus a $200 Outside Catering Kitchen Fee. (plus 9.8% tax) Please notify the Lodge office if you wish to utilize an outside cater and identify what catering company you have hired, what meals are being catered and if they are using our kitchens.

If you are planning to pick up prepared meals from a restaurant or caterer and serve them at your event, that is a great plan. It is however, considered outside catering and a $200 outside catering fee would apply.

If you wish to have a food truck on the property to provide food for guests, this is also considered an outside caterer
Consider the following before you make a commitment of a food truck/cart at Anderson Lodge :

  • Does the food cart require an electrical hook up?
    If so, what kind of electrical requirements does it have.
  • Does the food cart or truck need water?
  • Where were you going to have it park?
  • Are you going to charge guests for any of the food items?
  • Does the cart have insurance that would cover damages to our facility?
  • Do they take away their trash?
  • Are they going to clean up the area from their concession?

We require

  1. insurance from the food truck operator that covers any damage to the property
  2. The food truck may have access to an 110v outlet. If more is needed, wedding client is to provide a generator.
  3. There may be a water source if a food truck has a hose.
  4. Anderson Lodge owners must approve of the placement of the food truck.
  5. Food trucks may not charge guests for any item on their menu. All menu items must be paid for by the wedding couple.
  6. Food truck it to dispose of all trash accumulated as a result of their food service.
  7. Food truck operator is responsible for cleaning up the area and returning it to original state.
  8. Food truck operator is responsible for all damage resulting from their meal service.

It is possible to contact one of our preferred caterers. pick up buffet dishes from them and serve them yourself. Our preferred caterers will also offer a drop-off catering service. Using a preferred caterer for pick-up, drop off or full service catering would avoid the extra $200 fee.

Do you have preferred caterers or caterers you recommend for our wedding?

Yes, we do have caterers that have frequently catered for weddings at Anderson Lodge.  Call the office for names of our preferred caterers.  They are wonderful and come highly recommended by our clients! Want your event to be worry free? You can be assured of  a successful event with a preferred caterer.

Preferred Catering Kitchen Fees – Weddings
No additional fee beyond the $150/day (plus tax) kitchen fee if a preferred caterer provides the main event meal
Caterer confirmation required.

Our preferred caterers can offer pick-up, drop-off and full service catering.

Would you like to use a catering company for your main event meal that is familiar with Anderson Lodge and comes with rave reviews from past clients? They can also provide other meals during your stay too. Our preferred caterers can be a great resource when you are planning your reception. You are in direct contact with your caterer to choose dishes, meal times and presentation. Our preferred caterers have so much experience providing wedding fare at Anderson Lodge. They know the how to make your reception a success.

If we choose a preferred caterer, do they have staff to clean up?

Catering staff will set up and clean the meal service they are providing. They will set up your buffet, prepare the meal, replenish the buffet table, clear the tables and clean up everything that relates to their service.  If you have a special request for them concerning the meal service, contact your caterer to see if it is possible.

It is your responsibility to set up and take down the conference room tables, chairs and decorations.  If you would like to hire some staff to help in set up or take down, contact the Lodge office. We may have staff that are local to the area and are experienced in wedding needs.  They are paid an hourly rate (plus tax).  They are hired for a minimum of 3 hours with a 2-person minimum.  If they are to be washing dishes, the general guideline is: 2 staff for the first 50 people, 3 staff for 100 people, 4 staff for 100-200 people. Our wait staff are adults and are experienced employees of Anderson Lodge.

The caterer is responsible for clearing and cleaning of what they are providing.  However, it is your responsibility to completely clean the area and the items pertaining to any service that you are providing, ie. cake service, toasting, wine or water goblets, beverage service, etc.  That includes washing and packing of rented glassware, china, flatware, decorations, linens, etc.

What kitchen appliances and supplies are available if we are self-catering?

It is difficult to list all what we have in our kitchens.

  • The Main Lodge has a large commercial stove/oven/griddle plus a standard sized stove/oven.
  • The Hilltop House has 2 standard ranges plus 2 built-in ovens.
  • Main Lodge has an upright large freezer.
  • Hilltop has a chest freezer
  • Both facilities have double door commercial refrigerators
  • Both facilities have residential-type refrigerators
  • Both have commercial dishwashers (3 min cycle)

There are the basic kitchen items: peelers, graters, knives, cutting boards, dish towels, dish soap, foil, paper towels, Ziplocs, spatulas, wine openers, whisks, measuring cups, tongs, etc. You can expect to find large pots, skillets, cookie sheets and glass casserole dishes. Serving dishes include: platters, serving bowls and serving utensils.  There are a multiple numbers of: coffee carafes, water pitchers and salt/pepper shakers. We have both Mr. Coffee makers with filters (12cup) and large coffee urns.

We do NOT have chaffing dishes, food processors, large mixers, blenders, ice machines, punch bowls, water urns or deep fryers.

We do provide china and flatware for 150 people.

We consider our kitchens well-stocked but we realize we cannot provide everything. We tell our guests, if a particular item would make or break your meal, it is best to bring it with you. With the high use through out the season there is a possibility that some kitchen supplies might be in an overly used condition or mistakenly taken. So to be safe, bring items that are especially important for meal service for your event.

Do you have an ice maker for our use?

No. It is best to buy ice in Woodland or Cougar.  We have an upright freezer at the Main Lodge and a chest freezer at the Hilltop House for ice.

Do you have BBQ's for our use?

Yes.  We have charcoal BBQ’s for both the Main Lodge and the Hilltop House.  Guests are to provide their own charcoal.  Do not use barbecues on decks or patios.  They are to be used on cement and gravel areas.  At the Hilltop House site there is a designated BBQ grilling area that is covered and has refrigeration as well.

Ceremony & Reception Questions


What if it rains when I have my wedding scheduled?

You can hold your event indoors.  Every wedding package includes the use 2 conference rooms.  One is carpeted and the other has laminate flooring.  No worries, even if it rains!

We ask that you limit your guest list to 200.  This way if it rains, you can bring your wedding inside.  One conference room can hold up to 200 people for a ceremony.  A reception typically sets up with tables and chairs.  Larger reception numbers may require that you use both conference rooms for your reception.

What if I want to use a tent on the grounds to add covered space for my reception or wedding?

Rarely is there an event at Anderson Lodge where a tent is needed.  It is just not necessary with the use of the use 2 conference rooms.  If there is a situation where one is needed, CALL US!  Tent installation requires stakes to be driven into the ground.  Water lines, electrical lines, etc. are under ground and could be damaged. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO CALL US BEFORE HAVING A TENT INSTALLED. We can identify the areas that could be used safely for a tent.

Can we borrow from the other Lodge if we need more supplies or equipment?

No. We cannot have any kitchen items, supplies, equipment, furniture, (including tables and chairs) travel to the other facility.  Not only does this create damage to the item/s but is a safety issue.  If more equipment or supplies are needed, they would have to be rented.

Can we use candles at our event?

Yes, you may use candles provided you follow these restrictions and monitor the candles often:

  • All candles must be in glass or fireproof containers that exceed the height of the flame by 2 inches.
  • This rule applies to candles indoors or outdoors.  NEVER use exposed candles anywhere
  • Use for a specific amount of time then extinguish them
  • Place on solid smooth surfaces only, in areas where they won’t be accidentally knocked over
  • Do not use candles in glass containers directly on the rock patios, on rock walls or on aisles of the wedding circle. They can tip easily by long dresses and people walking.  They will break on the pavers.  Make sure glass containers are secured.
Do you permit sky lanterns or drones?

We do not allow sky lanterns or wish lanterns. The miniature hot air balloons can create a dangerous situation if they collide with a tree, building or power line. The lanterns have to land somewhere, and sometimes they’re still partly on fire when they hit the ground. They’ve been known to ignite dry vegetation.

Sky lanterns are dangerous and illegal to fly in Washington. We certainly don’t need uncontrolled sources of open flame flying above our forests. We already have enough things to cause forest fires to worry about without adding them to the mix.

They also require quite a bit of clean-up when they do land; many times in neighboring pastures, fields and even on homes. Please do not use.

Use of drones:
Using drones for photographing a wedding is allowed but guidelines are as follows:

  • Safety is the most important thing to keep in mind if you plan to hire a drone. Drones are essentially mini-helicopters with cameras, 
  • The drone operator should be a  trained professional
  • The use of the drone would not be permitted to fly in stormy weather, rain, or winds 
  • An operator is only to film on the property; no filming of neighboring property would be permitted.
  • Drone pilot must have an established safety plan,
  • A drone Photography company and drone operator must have personal property and a liability insurance policy that covers all drone activities.  This is a requirement. No exceptions.
  • Anderson Lodge is not liable for loss or damage to the drone.
  • Anderson Lodge is not responsible or liable for any injury of any person as a result of the use of the drone.


What do your wedding packages include?

All our wedding packages include an overnight stay and give you exclusive access to the entire site.  You choose either the Main Lodge or the Hilltop House site.  It’s like you are renting an entire resort all for you!

We encourage you to limit the number of guests who come to your event to 200 or under. Even 200 people may not be ideal.  Of course we do not have ample facilities to have your entire guest list to spend the night.  Keep in mind the number of beds we have,  the bathroom facilities and decide the number  you are comfortable with.  You may have tent campers and RV’s as well.    You may wish to discuss the amount you have in mind with Arvid or Vicki just to make sure your numbers can be accommodated and inquire where RV’s and tents may be placed.

We supply tables and chairs, china and flatware, serving dishes, and exclusive use of the facility.  You have access to our guest rooms and cabins, kitchens, recreational areas, the entire grounds and 2 large conference rooms.  It is great to have the conference rooms if it rains or if your event is in our colder months.  There are many other amenities that come with booking our site as well.  Please see our website  for further details, photos, pricing, catering, etc.

What are the dimensions of the Hilltop House & Main Lodge conference rooms?

Main Lodge:
Conference Room:    32′ x 47′
Reception Pavilion:  30′ x 50′
Game Room area:     30′ x 22′

Hilltop House:
Conference Room:    30′ x 60′
Reception Pavilion:  30′ x 50′

How many does the conference room at the Hilltop House hold for my WEDDING?

If you are setting up with rows of chairs, perhaps for a wedding, the Hilltop conference room will hold up to 150 people at the most. We suggest you limit your guest list to 150 people or less.  If you are wanting tables in chairs for a reception, the conference room will hold approximately 100 people.  You may have to split the reception into 2 rooms if you have over 100 people.  Most wedding clients have the buffet in the conference room, and have the guests dine in both large rooms if they have 100-150 guests.  The exception to this is for summer months when the weather is good.  Then outdoor dining is such a great option!

How many does the conference room at the Main Lodge hold for my WEDDING?

If you are setting up with rows of chairs, perhaps for a wedding, the Main Lodge conference room will hold up to 150 people at the most.  We suggest you limit your guest list to 150 people or less.  If you are wanting tables and chairs for a reception, the conference room will hold approximately 100 people.  You may have to split the reception into 2 rooms if you have over 100 people.  Most wedding clients  have the guests dine in both large rooms if they have 100-150 guests.  The exception to this is for summer months when the weather is good.  Our outdoor dining patios in the forest are so beautiful!

Please know that the leather couches and the fabric chairs STAY IN THE CONFERENCE ROOM.
Do NOT take the furniture to another room or outside.  It’s okay to move them to the perimeter of the room, but do NOT move them out of the room.

Do people get married in the conference room or the reception pavilion when they want indoor weddings?

It is your choice entirely.  Some choose the spacious pavilions and some choose the carpeted conference rooms.

Where can we get a marriage license?

MARRIAGE LICENSE PACKET You may learn all about the requirements and information about ceremonies.. The couple should read the packet thoroughly. It tells you exactly what to do to obtain a license and what is required. The packet should be given to your officiant as well. 

Start this process early. Do not apply for your marriage license at the last minute  Be sure to check out the Cowlitz County Marriage License page for an application and information about fees, timeline and other details.  Remember, the lodge is in Cowlitz County.

Main Lodge
12025 Lewis River Road
Ariel, WA  98603

Hilltop House
12014 Lewis River Road
Ariel, WA  98603

Do you have anyone who would perform our ceremony?

There is a lovely couple who performs ceremonies of all kinds.  Check out A Beautiful Ceremony NW. Steve and Leslie Sharp will work with you to create a custom ceremony from the heart that will be a reflection of your unique story. They come highly recommended and have been to Anderson Lodge to perform ceremonies.  Call them.  You will be impressed too!

You are able to have others officiate a ceremony as well. There is a lot of information on the WEBSITE for Washington who is able to perform ceremonies. Once you apply for your marriage license, you will be give a packet of materials. 



Do we need a special permit to serve alcohol at our event?

The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board has a banquet permit that allows for the consumption of alcohol at a private event like a wedding.  Use this link to learn about the BANQUET PERMIT . However, read the part that says, “A banquet permit is not required if all the following apply”  If you feel a banquet permit is needed for your event, you can order one online for a $10/day fee.

Please transport all wine and liquor bottles home or to a recycling/disposal center.

Do you have a licensed bartender for us to use?

It is not required that you have a licensed bartender but it is recommended. You may have a responsible family member or friend act as your bartender. Anyone who is in charge of the service of alcohol must not serve to a minor or over-serve to adults. Drinks at your wedding must be free and you are not to charge for the alcohol, beer, wine or other beverages. The alcohol service area must be monitored at all times. Be safe.

What's new with the passage of Washington state legislature Initiative 502?

You can check out the new rules regarding cannabis at the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board website.

Who sets up and takes down the reception room or ceremony site?

It is your responsibility to set up the chairs for your ceremony and move them back to storage. This includes floral arrangements and other decorative items at the ceremony site.It is your responsibility to set up for the reception.  Moving tables and placing chairs for the reception is up to you. You are to decorate and take down the decorations. It is your responsibility to set up and clear your beverage service.

We may have wait staff from Anderson Lodge who can complete various tasks to help with your event. Wait staff work a maximum 6 hour shift. Wait staff are paid an hourly wage, (plus tax) with a minimum of 2 people for 3 hours. If you wish 2 staff or more, they do not split shifts, but work together.

They can also help with clearing of tables, doing dishes and putting them away, moving of furniture, manage trash, cleanup of spills, general cleanup and replenish supplies if needed. Our wait staff are not food handlers. They cannot help with food prep, food service or meal set up. They cannot set tables or set up the buffet, replenish the buffet or handle food before meal service. Our staff are very experienced in wedding needs. Contact Anderson Lodge home office should you wish to add this service.    Request wait staff 4-6 weeks prior to your event. Our wait staff are adults and are experienced employees of Anderson Lodge.

Do you have ladders or extension cords for our use during our stay?

No, we are unable to loan you ladders or extension cords. Please bring your own.

Are there rules for decorations?
  • Please know that the leather couches and the fabric chairs STAY IN THE CONFERENCE ROOM.  Do NOT take the furniture to another room or outside.  It’s okay to move them to the perimeter of the room, but do NOT move them out of the room.
  • The use of silly string, confetti, faux flowers, glitter, rice, or scattered decorative ornamentation is strictly prohibited.
  • No tape or tacks may be used on the indoor or outdoor walls/siding of the lodge.
  • Do not use tape on the rafters or ceiling.
  • Do not remove pictures from the walls.
  • Do not move the Hilltop piano.  EVER!
  • Do not sit or stand on the tables, EVER!
  • Do not move the entertainment armoires.
  • All candles must be in glass or fireproof containers that exceed the height of the flame by 2 inches.  This rule applies to candles indoors and outdoors. Never use exposed candles indoors or outdoors.
  • Sky lanterns are dangerous and illegal to fly in Washington. They are strictly prohibited.
  • Never, ever allow standing water on our hardwood and laminate floors.
  • Do not set items on the baby grand piano at the Hilltop House
  • NEVER EVER move any of the leather furniture or upholstered chairs out or the Conference room.  This requirement deserves to be repeated!
  • Clean up of all decorations is your responsibility even if you are paying for the cleaning service.
What rules do you have for beer kegs at events?

If you are having beer kegs, place them on CEMENT ONLY and clean up area thoroughly. As with any service of alcohol, monitor the area to make sure all are over 21 and that guests are not being over-served.

We have a “Viking Beverage Bar” at the Hilltop House.  Here you can find refrigeration, a freezer and a service area for beverages. It is decorated with lights. The freezer will com in handy for ice for your event. Please leave racks in the refrigerator, do not remove them.

“The Stockholm Beverage Bar” at the Main Lodge has a wine cooler and lovely serving area decorated with lights. The rock wall surrounding the bar is great for keeping coolers of cold drinks. On the back side of the bar there is a freezer. for ice.. This forest-inspired structure with its natural edge hardwood bar is a real show piece. The gorgeous custom wood bar is under a 12’x12′ gazebo.

Do you have any suggestions for florists, DJ's, wedding planners, photographers or videographers?

Just look in our LINKS/RESOURCES section under “Special Occasion inks on our website.  Here you will find a list of vendors that have come to our lodge and have received positive reviews from our clients. Be sure to check these vendors first when you are planning your event. 

Who washes and takes care of the cake table?

It is the client’s responsibility to set up, serve and clean up the cake and dishes used and cake table.

Do you have outdoor lighting?

Yes.  First of all, all pathways at the Main Lodge and the Hilltop House are lit.  There are clear “twinkle” lights in both Reception Pavilions. The rock patios have outlets so you can use any lights you bring in.  And, we have 4 white floor lamps with 4 white globes on them for the patios.  These are obtained by request only.

We have rented a one night package for our wedding. Can we come in the day before just for a rehearsal?

Your one night package does not include a rehearsal the day before.

The simplest way to have a rehearsal if you have booked a one-night package is to have the wedding party arrive at check in time and rehearse.  This is a great alternative if you schedule your wedding later in the afternoon or evening. Just allot adequate time to rehearse and set up prior to your event.

There may be an option for an early arrival on the day of your event to have a rehearsal if there is no one renting before your date.  A $100/hr. (plus tax) fee will be charged for early entry.  Early entry allowances can only be confirmed within 2 weeks of your check-in date.  Call the office for this option.

Sound System and DJ Questions:

Do you have a sound system OR can I use a DJ with a sound system for my event?

We do not have a sound system but yes you may certainly have a DJ for your event.  Despite the rural location of our facility we do have neighbors adjacent to the Main Lodge.  Please be mindful of the noise level (of guests and amplified music) of your event. We ask you to move the party inside by 10 pm and decrease the noise level of amplified music and party-goers.

  • Make sure you have the speakers pointed East at the Main Lodge and you avoid using the wedding circle for late night amplified music.
  • At the Hilltop careful placement of speakers is also suggested.  We have neighbors to the south of the Hilltop site.

Is there WiFi for our DJ?

WiFi is available at both facilities.  WiFi range may be limited to the conference rooms and patios.  Check equipment prior to your date to see if the WiFi reaches your reception area.

Do you have outlets on the patios?

Yes there are outlets for 110 around the perimeter of the patios.


Is parking in the field okay?

Yes. The field is designated for event parking.  There is a sign that indicates “Reception Parking” with an arrow to the field at the Main Lodge and Hilltop House.

Is there a curfew?

We ask that you decrease the noise level of your event at 10 PM and bring your party indoors to the conference rooms.  We ask that you lower the volume of amplified  music and the party-goers at this time.

How many tables do you have for my event? What are their sizes?

Main Lodge:
Conference Room:   32′ x 47′
Reception Pavilion:  30′ x 50′
Game Room area:     30′ x 22′

20 x 60” diameter round conference tables
6 – rectangle tables 8’ long
3 – rectangle tables 6’ long
1 – rectangle table 4’ long
40 Bistro tables – 28” square

Hilltop House:
Conference Room:    30′ x 60′
Reception Pavilion:  30′ x 50′

18 x 60” diameter round conference tables
4 – rectangle tables 8’ long
2 – rectangle tables 6’ long
1 – rectangle table 4’ long
40 Bistro tables – 28” square
140 Bistro table chairs

* Conference Rounds can seat varying numbers of guests.  We have seen 7-10 people at these tables.  10 is a bit cramped; 6 is very generous.  It is your choice
*There are 3 – 4 picnic tables scattered on the grounds of the Main Lodge and the Hilltop House.

How many chairs are there for my event?

There are approximately 125 indoor chairs. They are padded folding chairs.

There are approximately 125 outdoor chairs.  They are vinyl folding chairs.  Chairs are suitable for outdoors but should never be left outside when not in use. Once your outdoor event has finished, please put the chairs undercover in their designated places.

There are approximately 125 bistro chairs.

*Main Lodge only:  There are about 36 wooden chairs in the dining room of the Main Lodge

Are we able to use the conference round tables that are in the conference room & pavilion outside on the patios?

Yes, you can take the round tables outside.  Please have 2 people carry them rather than rolling them when moving.  It damages the tables to roll them.  But, they have to be put back indoors immediately after you use them and NEVER LEAVE THEM OUTSIDE ALL NIGHT!  They may not be taken or used outside if there is wet weather.  Outdoor tan chairs are to be stored undercover at night and in wet weather as well.  Bistro chairs and tables are fine outside.

If you use our indoor tables and/or chairs outdoors, please make sure they are clean when returning them. Again, do not roll them (Like a wheel) when moving them.  Check the legs and feet of chairs and wipe clean.

Do you know of anyone that could help us with trash removal or moving of furniture during our event?

Yes, we may have wait staff that can help you with trash and moving of furniture. You may request wait staff from Anderson Lodge to help with set-up or take down of your event. Our staff are very experienced in wedding needs. They can help to remove trash during your event, help clear dishes and glasses, wash dishes, set up chairs, put chairs away, move tables to the reception area, put tables away, help you set up the outdoor patios, etc.

They can also help with cleanup of spills, general cleanup and replenish supplies if needed. Our wait staff are not food handlers. They cannot help with food prep, food service or meal set up for a meal. They cannot set tables or set up the buffet, replenish the buffet or handle food before meal service. You can count on them to move furniture before your event and clear after the reception, rehearsal dinner or brunch.

Contact the office to request wait staff . The minimum is 2 wait staff and for 3 hours. They work a maximum of 6 hours. They do not split shifts. All staff work the same hours for the job.  Example: 2 wait staff could work 5:30-8:30. But they are not to arrive at a different time or depart at a different time.

Our staff can even assist you in clean up on the day of your departure.

Contact Anderson Lodge home office should you wish to add this service.  Wait staff are paid an hourly wage, (plus tax),. Our wait staff are adults and are experienced employees of Anderson Lodge.

When requesting wait staff you will identify

  • How many staff you are requesting
  • The date and hours you wish them help
  • The tasks you wish them to complete
  • The lead person for the job. Who is the person our staff report to when they arrive at the event.
Can we borrow tables at the other Lodge if we need more?

No.  All equipment and supplies stay at their original location.  No borrowing.

Lodging Questions


Do you have any high chairs or cribs?

We have 2 high chairs at each facility.  We do not have cribs.

If I rent bedding from Anderson Lodge, what does that include?

If you rent bedding, the bedding sack has sheets, blanket, pillow and pillowcase for your bed. You also receive a towel and washcloth. If it is a double bed, there will be towels and pillows for two; if it is a twin bed there will be one towel and one pillow.  Both are the same price, $15/bed. (7.7%)

How many beds are there at the MAIN LODGE and HILLTOP HOUSE?

We have private rooms, family rooms and dorm-style rooms on the Main Lodge site as well as 2 cabins.  (Total bed count at the Main Lodge is 43 twin beds and 12 double beds).  There are also 4 futons that are not included in the bed count. You can download FLOOR PLANS of the Main Lodge.

There are 35 twin beds, 3 futons and 4 double beds in the central building of the Main Lodge in a series of guest rooms and a loft.

Our bunkhouse cabin has 2 bedrooms with a shared bathroom.  There are 4 double beds in one guest room and 8 twin beds and a futon in the other guest room.

The Dalarna Cabin is a charming private handicap accessible cabin with 4 double beds, kitchenette, bathroom, dining nook and private deck with porch swing.

How many beds are there at the HILLTOP HOUSE?                          

The Hilltop House is located on 75 acres and has a total of 15 double beds and 12 twin beds. In the sleeping house, there a futon upstairs in the lounge area and 2 futons downstairs . The site consists of a sleeping house, conference rooms , game room and 3 quaint cabins.

  • Sleeping House:  In the 4 guest rooms there are a total of 12 double beds, 6 twin beds and 3 futons.  There are multiple beds in each guest room.
  • Located on the site are 3 cozy private cabins.  Each of the 3 cabins at the Hilltop has a sofa that converts to a double bed & 2 twin mattresses in a loft. There is also a kitchen, living space and bathroom.
  •  You can download the FLOOR PLANS of the Hilltop House.

Guests are issued bedding and are to make up their beds when they arrive.  Guests are to remove bedding from beds and follow the rented bedding instructions.

I noticed blankets on the beds. Do we use these blankets for our bedding?

One blanket will be on each bed when you arrive. This for protection for the mattress only and is not meant to be used for bedding.  You are to bring your own bedding (sleeping bag?) or rent bedding from us to use on the bed.  Our rented bedding sets include sheets, blanket, pillow, pillowcase, bath towel and washcloth. ONe twin set includes bedding and towels for one person. One bedding set for a double bed includes bedding and towels for 2 people.

Group leader orders bedding sets for their group. When you arrive, you will be issued the bedding sets. Guests are to make up their own beds. At the end of your stay, guests will put the rented bedding in designated places and put blanket on the bed. When you leave, you are to leave the blanket covering on the bed. 

Rented bedding is placed in the following locations

  • Towels on washer and drawer
  • Sheets in bags on the floor in front of the couches
    Main Lodge: in the small living area next to kitchen
    Hilltop House: in the downstairs living area of the sleeping house
  • Pillows stacked on the couches
  • Blankets placed on the couches
Our guests are all out-of-town and need to rent bedding. How do we rent bedding?

You must give us your bedding count at least 20 days prior to check-in.  Give us as accurate count. There will be no refunds if you don’t use all the bedding.  If you need to add a couple bedding sets upon check in, we can accommodate.  The cost of last-minute bedding requests will be subtracted from you damage/service deposit.  Bedding sets are $15/bed + tax.  This totals $16.16 for a bedding set.

Is there parking for RV's or trailers?

No tents allowed on Hilltop orchard wedding site or view wedding site. Tent camping spots are in the trees along the driveway and in the parking meadow at the Main Lodge.  Tent camping in the parking field and up in the trees above the orchard are available at the Hilltop.

Yes.  At the Hilltop House there are 5 sites with full hook-ups.  Three sites are in between the cabins.  Two sites are overlooking the wedding site.  Some couples do not want these sites used so they can avoid having RV’s in photographs. We are able to give you water and electricity (only 110 not 220) in parking spots next to buildings.  Dry camping is allowed in the field,

At the Main Lodge, you may park near buildings in parking slots. There is a nice spot for a large RV next to the tennis courts. We may be able to give you water and electricity (only 110 not 220) in parking spots next to the buildings.  RV’s that are self-contained and do not need hook-ups can always park in fields.

Is the road up to the Hilltop okay for motor coaches, large RV's or buses?

Yes, we have buses and RV’s go up the road all the time.  We maintain the road and trim branches often.  If you book the Hilltop House and expect a large motor coach or bus at your event, give us a call.  We can make sure the branches are okay to accommodate a large RV.

What suggestions do you have if we need more accommodations than Anderson Lodge offers?

There are motels, bed & breakfasts, resorts and campgrounds within one half hour of the Lodge. There are also some AirBnB accommodations that may be available.

Nearby Accomodations
There are other accommodations that are near the Lodge.  Some lodging options are in Cougar, WA (7 miles east of Anderson Lodge) and some are in Woodland, WA (23 miles west of Anderson lodge at I-5 junction at exit #21)

Do you have wedding packages that do NOT include an overnight stay?

We do NOT have any wedding packages that are day use only.  Our packages have an arrival time of 2 pm or 4 pm, depending on your package, and a departure time of 10 AM the following day.  If you wish to make it day use only event, by arriving at 2 PM and leaving that evening, that is fine.  The overnight feature is extremely popular for our bridal parties, reunions and gatherings.  With such a special event as a wedding, we want to make it the best possible event.  And, for most people, spending more time with their family and friends makes the best possible event.

There are other advantages:

  • More time to enjoy your wedding and reception
  • No one is forced to drive after alcoholic beverages are consumed
  • No one is forced to drive late in the evening
  • No set time for a reception to end (although bringing the music indoors helps in late hours)
  • Most find staying at the lodge is less expensive than motel rooms
  • Relatives can stay together, at one place, to gather and reconnect
  • Bridal couple can stay in a cabin of their own on their first night without having to drive somewhere
  • The list goes on I am sure